Why consider vaginoplasty?
As a part of gender confirmation surgery, the MTF patient may choose to undergo a vaginoplasty, which effectively turns the male genitalia into an attractive, functional vagina that is fully sensitive to pleasure and sensation.
Dr. Satterwhite performs vaginoplasty by constructing a vagina, vulva, labia, clitoral hood and clitoris from the scrotal and urethral flaps, as well as the inverted penile tissue. Sensation is preserved through the blood and nerves, which remain attached at all times.
What benefits come with vaginoplasty?
- Congruence between inner and outer gender identity
- The ability to be intimate with a partner and have pleasurable intercourse
- Increased sense of confidence in one’s image
- Long-lasting results
- Aesthetically pleasing and natural genital appearance
Who makes a good candidate for the vaginoplasty procedure?
In order to qualify for vaginoplasty, patients must…
- Have 2 letters of support from a mental health professional who is familiar with the client’s transition journey
- Be on hormone therapy
- Have a minimum of 12 months of real life experience as their chosen gender
- Be healthy in both mind and body
- Have reliable support
- Be at a healthy weight for their frame
- Be non-smokers
- Have realistic expectations for their results
- Be willing to follow Dr. Satterwhite’s instructions to the letter
What is recovery like?
Your hospital or rehab stay after the operation will be 3 days, on average. Dr. Satterwhite will place a urethral catheter and vaginal packing during surgery, and these will be removed 7-10 days later at the first post-operative visit in his clinic. Patients will be instructed on vaginal dilation at this time. Most clients find it takes about 12 weeks to fully heal from their vaginoplasty, but they can begin working again within 4-6 weeks, barring physically demanding occupations. Dr. Satterwhite will provide a more detailed set of aftercare instructions at the time of your hospital discharge.
What is the cost of vaginoplasty in San Francisco?
Dr. Satterwhite will be able to give you an exact quote based on your goals and anatomy after he sees you for a private consultation in San Francisco. We will work with you to secure funding through insurance, financing or both.
Why choose Dr. Satterwhite for your Bay Area vaginoplasty?
Dr. Satterwhite’s skill is unrivaled when it comes to performing complex, life-altering surgeries for his transgender patients in San Francisco and beyond. He is dedicated to creating a safe and caring environment where all clients are free to fully express and realize their dreams for transitioning. Dr. Satterwhite spends an uncommon amount of time in consultation to ensure that you are fully aware and empowered, with all the information you need to make the right decision for your future.
Dr. Satterwhite graduated from Stanford University’s medical school, after which he completed a vigorous and demanding residency in plastic surgery at the world-renowned Stanford Hospital. He continues to contribute valuable research to the field of transgender surgery, and is the recipient of the Plastic Surgery Foundation Award from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.
Dr. Satterwhite’s staff was so sweet as well as him... he's adorable... Gives great detail about his work and makes you feel so comfortable.
A Message to Our Patients:
ALIGN SURGICAL REMAINS OPEN TO CONTINUE SERVING THE TRANSGENDER COMMUNITY
With the safety and well-being of our patients and staff as our highest goal, Dr. Satterwhite and Dr. Gurujal are determined to provide the medical care and planning you need during COVID-19.
- VIRTUAL CONSULTATIONS: we continue to be busy with phone and video visits providing access to all patients interested in gender confirming surgery
- FOLLOW UPS: we continue to provide needed care for our existing patients by phone and video, and in person when medically appropriate
- SURGERY: while we cannot currently perform surgery due to the shelter in place, we continue booking surgeries for future dates
Please do not hesitate to reach out to us and let us know how we can help. To the best of our ability, we pledge to keep you safe, healthy, connected, and informed!
With best wishes, Your Align Surgical Team
Send Us A Message